Hey Everyone! It’s that time of year! The 2013 HATE list compiled in no particular order.
1. Constant use of the phrase, “I’m obsessed with.” I’m obsessed with Pinterest. I’m obsessed with Snapchat. I’m obsessed with pumpkin chai latte. You can not be obsessed with a pumpkin chai latte. If you want to understand obsession, read The End of the Affair. Then talk to me a about disgusting Starbucks beverages.
2. Transparency. Suddenly everything has to be transparent. Since when isn’t clear good enough. When did clear get demoted? Did clear get the memo?
3. Pumpkin chai latte.
4. I don’t hate Taylor Swift, but I’ve had it, too.
5. Hating on Obama. I loved him, I love him, and I will always love him.
6. What the fuck is the Duck Dynasty and why is it all over the bestseller list?
7. Adam Levine named People Magazine’s sexiest man of the year. Okay, he is the first Jew to be named which I suppose is something. Seriously, there are men in publishing who are sexier than Adam Levine.
8. People asking me if I read “The Goldfinch.”
9. People sending me an email that says, “Call me.” Okay, you’re emailing me to to call you. Why don’t you just fucking call me. Just pick up the fucking phone. In the words of Ernestine, “One ringy dingy.” Are we CLEAR?
10. The continued shortening of every work in the dic.
And just for the record, I love all of you who come here and leave your snail slime in the form comments that are harrowing and hilarious and truly supportive of all the people who check in at the Lerner Rehab Facility for Writers and Artists and stay for a day or a lifetime.
Now, please, let’s see if we can get to 100 items on the hate list. What do you find irritating, obnoxious (besides me), heinous, and hideous?
Filed under: Freak Flag, neurosis, self-loathing, The End of the World as We Know It, Writers | Tagged: adam levine, hate, haters, hating, new year, pumpkin chai latter, taylor swift | 131 Comments »